Thursday, November 1, 2007

Agnes Moscrip Jeffrey


Agnes Moscrip Jeffrey was my great-great grandmother. I have not been able to gather much information about her, compared with her husband, Andrew Jeffrey. She had a very intriguing life, though, and as more is known, I will update this post.
Agnes Moscrip was born on January 19, 1819 in Upper Canada (location unknown). Her parents were Robert and Jane Moscrip. She had at least one brother, Robert.
Little is known of Agnes’ childhood. As a young woman (20 or so years old), she married a John McLenhan, and they had 4 children – Robert, John, Andrew, and Agnes. In September 1847, tragedy struck with both Robert and John dying within 2 days of each other, at 6 years and 4 years of age. It is unknown the cause of their death. Agnes’ husband, John, also died close to the death of his two sons (date and cause unknown). Agnes wrote down her thoughts following this time, and excerpts have been preserved. What follows is an excerpt:

Cobourg Mar 31
I have been thinking of the events of 1847. It is nearly 2 years since my deare husband’s death and all this time has been praising his Savior with fullness of joy while we have still been occupied with the fleeting things of time. Has this affliction ever given me an abiding sense of the instability of earthly joys and made me long more for that purer delight which is found in seeing the Lord face to face. It has made me walk more circumspectly and devote myself more completely to my God. It has made me feel the value of the blood, which has washed away sin and taken the sting from death.
Cobourg Apr 5
I know that you will not give place to any angry feelings, but only pray for your enemies and look on all as coming direct from the hand of God.
Cobourg Apr 9
O my soul! When will thou live consistently? When shall I walk steadily with God? When shall I hold heaven constantly in view? How time glides away. How is death approaching. How soon must I give up my account.
Cobourg Apr 11
I certainly have to lament, yet how little in truth do I feel it that religion is at a very low ebb with me at present.

Within 3 – 4 years of these entries, Agnes married Andrew Jeffrey, himself a widower, on May 4, 1853 in Cobourg. She was 34 years old at her marriage, very nearly 19 years younger than Andrew. Their marriage lasted only 10 years. She immediately became the mother of at least 4 of Andrew’s children from his previous marriage, who were still living at home. She had 4 more children by Andrew – Donald, Jessie, Henry (my great-grandfather), and Alexander. Andrew died 8 months after the birth of Alexander, Agnes being 44 years old at the time.
She lived as a widow for 12 more years, and died on January 9, 1876 in Cobourg. Her obituary reads: “It is with sincere regret we record the death of Mrs. Jeffrey, widow of the late Hon. Andrew Jeffrey, of this town. Mrs. Jeffrey had been ill for some weeks, of fever; and this terminated fatally about midnight on Sunday last. The deceased lady was well known in Cobourg, and universally beloved; and the news of her death will be received with regret on all hands.”

1 comment:

jenny said...

Gosh, Dad, this is amazing! I feel so very blessed and priviledged to have such a heritage of devoted men and women that have loved and pursued the Lord throughout all types of hardship and pain. You make me so excited and anxious to meet all my distant relatives. This stuff gets me so excited! Have you thought about doing an exerpt on Papa?